Window air conditioning units are an option if you want to cool a single room or small area. Sometimes they can make unpleasant and annoying noises. Here are some ways to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Check the fan blades. If they are bent, they could cause noise. Straighten them if you can.
2. If the a/c unit hasn’t been mounted correctly, it can cause vibrations that result in rattling noises. You can test this by feeling the sides of the window frame in which it is mounted.
3. Sometimes foreign objects can fall into the unit. Other times creatures such as insects and lizards can make their way inside. Check it out by removing the front grille.
4. A loud persistent noise is often caused by a fan motor that’s not properly lubricated. Call a professional to fix this problem.
5. When removing the front grille to clean the filter, if it’s not locked into place properly, it can cause an annoying sound. Be sure to properly attach it to eliminate this problem.